Excellence and Expertise

Student Spotlight: Ash Padilla ‘24

Art major lands Assistant Editor position at DC Comics following graduation.

Excellence and Expertise

Student Spotlight: Ash Padilla ‘24

Image 2

Interviewing Ash Padilla, soon-to-be Assistant Editor at DC Comics, promises a glimpse into the heart of comic book creation. With a focus on Black Label DC Comics, Ash shares their journey fueled by personal drive and a profound love for storytelling, from overcoming obstacles in pursuing illustration to seizing opportunities in internships.

What will your title be and what is the company's name? 

I am going to be an Assistant Editor at DC Comics—the home of Batman, Superman, and many more!

Where is the location? 

Burbank, CA

What exactly will you be doing?

I will be assisting in the production and editorial process of Black Label DC Comics! This can involve bigger picture thinking, but my main job is to assist the editors as books are created and help them along in the process that gets us to print.

What do you think helped you most to get where you are?

I think what helped me the most was my personal drive and love of storytelling. Even when told I couldn't pursue illustration within the school I pushed to find classes and ways to get the skills that would make me an ideal candidate for the DC Comics Editorial internship. And then I worked hard and learned as much as I could in the internship so that when the position came around I would be qualified for it too. 

What are you most looking forward to in your new role? 

I'm looking forward to continuing to work with the DC Editorial team as they have really uplifted me in my professional and creative journey. I am also excited to be involved with the future of DC and getting to be a part of comic book history as it's made, makes me tear up every time.

What advice would you give to future (or current) Miami students?

My advice would be if you are interested in the comic book industry: self-publish. Find ways to push yourself to learn all you can about the process and the art. Doing it yourself is one way, but also taking classes at Miami and other institutions that are perhaps more geared towards the medium can teach you so much. Also never give up. It sounds cheesy but if you give up you never would know if the next time you apply for an internship or job is the moment you get it.

Anything else you would like to add?

Never give up on your passions. If someone puts you down, use it as a chance to fuel your fire and prove everyone wrong. This quote from Henry David Thoreau has always stuck with me: "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."